4 March 2021|Latest Posts, Meet the Successful Founder
Michelle Turnbull is the owner and founder of The Barking Bakery, in Lancashire. Barking Bakery creates hand-baked and decorated cupcakes, cheesy biscuits and pupcorn alongside its signature personalised “pawty” cakes exclusively for dogs.
Established in 2012, Michelle’s vision was in response to the rise in the trend for upmarket and bespoke canine treats. She has built her business with a strong, fun and identifiable brand and her products are stocked by Pets at Home, Booths, Ocado and The Range to name a few.
Together with her team and chief taster; her dog Angus, the company is experiencing organic growth, fuelled by the boom in the purchase of over 2.2 million pandemic puppies.
What I’d say to encourage other women
“Align with your passion. You’ll know what lights you up. I trusted my instincts and I believed in my vision. I launched my highly innovative and luxury brand onto the high street after a lot of research, testing and knocks. It was important for me to have a brand that was different, one that made people smile. I was really clear and focussed on what I wanted, and allowed my instinctive creativity to shine. My three main tips would be:
- If you don’t feel afraid, don’t do it
- Talk to other women in business – be honest, open and sincere ALWAYS
- No matter how tough things get, never give up.”
My top 5 tips for entrepreneurial success
- Have a plan and stick to it – Use family and friends!!
- Don’t be afraid of speculating to accumulate
- Take risks
- Be ready to take knocks (80% of UK companies fail within their first year)
- Most importantly LOVE and believe in your business
I’m inspired by:
- My mum
- Holly Tucker – Founder of Not on the High Street
- Claire Gavin – Director of Private Brands and Innovation at Pets at Home
- Claire Balding
- Ferne Cotton
My favourite saying/inspirational quote
“Trust in your instincts and never let anyone change your direction”
Website & Socials